Sunday, March 3, 2019

Spiced Bulgur Wheat Salad - packed lunch with a twist!

I'm trying to get a bit more prepped for packed lunches and snacks this coming week. Last week the "munchies" hit me hard, for various stressy reasons, so I need to make sure that I've got plenty ready at hand in the fridge, for when the need arises!

I last made this bulgur wheat salad a few months ago, based on a recipe in an old Ocado magazine, but tweaked a bit - I think I'm genetically incapable of sticking to a standard recipe lol! But the whole point of enjoying food and cooking is to adapt recipes to what you love most (& what's available in the cupboard and fridge!).



https://www.ocado.com/webshop/recipe/bulgur-and-green-bean-spiced-salad/127456

I don't want to infringe any copyright laws, so I'll just add the link to the online recipe!

A fabulous ingredient to keep in the fridge/cupboard is preserved lemons, particularly if, like me, you love those citrus flavours. A little goes a long way but adds a lovely sour, salty punch to things like salads, couscous, rice dishes,

I adapted the recipe slightly according to what was available, so mine uses dried cranberries (instead of goji berries), and chopped cashews and flaked almonds (instead of pistachios). I also used only 1 teaspoon of olive oil instead of the tablespoon in the recipe. But, despite the "tweaks" it still works well, and makes a hearty lunch for 4 people- or a big tub full to keep in the fridge.
Delicious warm, either on its own or with feta cheese or chicken! 

Enjoy! 
Kim x 

No comments:

Post a Comment